I've read those words many times, but now that graduation is quickly approaching, they have taken on a different meaning for me. I had a fun childhood with my sister and parents, and was blessed with a good college experience. I have never really been in need of anything, and the joys have outweighed the sorrows thus far in my life. As I observe the ways in which those around me handle the everyday stress of life, I am being challenged to confront the ways in which I respond to stress. Do I always turn to God in prayer? Ashamed to say, I don't. Does my attitude need an adjustment more often than not? Yep. Do I get annoyed and angry with people and say or think hurtful things? Yes. Do I wholeheartedly believe that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me? Some days, seeds of doubt and discontent creep in and wreak havoc.
Then I think of Paul. He was stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked, imprisoned, and persecuted to a degree I cannot even imagine. Yet in all those trying times, he did not forget God. On the contrary, his faith grew stronger. Every day, Jesus dealt with people who hated Him and sinned against Him. Yet he died a slow and agonizing death for those same people, myself included.
I pray that God will help me be patient, understanding, compassionate, gentle, honest, and content with each day of life He gives. I do not want to wake up one morning and realize that I have been blinded to the beauty of life by stress, annoyances, and grievances. Some days are really rough, but the sun still shines, bluebirds are still cute, and raindrops are still deliciously refreshing.
No comments:
Post a Comment