Translate

Friday, January 18, 2013

Fetterman's Massacre, Ft. Kearney, & the Wagon Box Fight

September 26th, 2012
Shortly after leaving the area of Little Bighorn to drive to Devil's Tower, Wyoming, Shelby and I noticed a sign for a historic site a few miles off the interstate. We were able to tour the site where Ft. Kearney once stood and view the battlefields of Fetterman's Massacre and the Wagon Box Fight.

Wandering around the field where Ft. Kearney was located was a real treat for two history nerds. We stopped at this fort when we played Oregon Trail on the computer many years ago. It was exciting to finally see it in person. Shelby and I were the only ones at the site, so we had a fun time talking to each other in fort language; "Welcome to Ft. Kearney! Have you any news from back east? I sure hope you brought a newspaper because I pert near got this one memorized!" 
Yes, we are both well into our twenties, and yes, we still pretend to be settlers and pioneers in the west every now and then. :)
Holding down the fort :)
Boundaries of the fort

Americans were of tougher stock in those days.

We saw this deer and a flock of turkey mingling in the meadow as we drove to the site of the Wagon Box Fight.
Battle Memorial
The blue line marks the boundaries of the wagon box corral where thirty-two soldiers and civilians battled approximately 1,000 warriors of Chief Red Cloud's force. Let's just say that had I been present for that battle, panic attack would have taken on a whole new meaning.
View from behind a wagon box looking out on the field where 1,000 warriors once rode.


No comments: