Alabama
Rogersville: Cafe Savanna--a tiny cafe nestled amongst shops on a quiet street. Everything from the bread to the desserts is homemade. Cornbread salad, sandwiches, casseroles, and fresh fruit fluff (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas, and apples in a strawberry cool whip fluff. So good!). Order lunch, sit outside on the patio, and enjoy life in the south!
Florida
Crestview: The Baron's Tea House--This is a new-to-me restaurant, introduced by my grandma in January. I have eaten at many tea rooms, but The Baron's Tea House is in a league of its own. The tea sampler includes a salad with poppy seed dressing, chicken salad, three tiny tea sandwiches, a tea cup of homemade soup, and one dessert of your choice (lemon bar, chocolate chip Amish bread, or a scone). Everything was delightful, from the food to the pretty tea cups lining the shelves. The men chose to eat at KFC for lunch because they said tea and scones were too girly. They missed out on homemade curried chicken salad and the best lemon bar ever for greasy, fried, fast food chicken. And men say women are impossible to understand?
Seaside: Great Southern Cafe--the following description is taken directly from the menu--Grits a Ya Ya, smoked gouda cheese grits smothered with a saute of applewood-smoked bacon, spinach, shallots, garlic, portobello mushrooms, and cream, finished with spiced shrimp and sweet potato hay. Need I say more?
St. Augustine: The Florida Cracker Cafe--My mom, grandma, sister, and I ate at The Florida Cracker when we visited St. Augustine in 1998. We still talk about the shrimp sauce. You can order alligator, crab dip, fried green tomatoes, and lots of other southern coastal dishes.
Louisiana
Kentucky
![]() |
| Georgetown: Fava's--a restaurant that has been around since 1910, serving yummy burgers, homemade soup, BLTs, and breakfast omelets. |
Lexington: Sav's Grill and West African Cuisine--The owner is from Guinea, West Africa. He married a Peace Corps volunteer and moved to Lexington where they opened the restaurant. I recommend the peanut chicken and fried plantains. Delicious! Sav is friendly and his story is really interesting!
Missouri
Sikeston: Lambert's Cafe--because everyone should eat at a place where homemade rolls the size of softballs are hurled at you from across the restaurant. The food is yummy southern-fare; fried chicken, pork chops, fried potatoes, macaroni and tomatoes, fried okra; can you see we have a pattern in the south? Fried food. Come hungry, be prepared to wait outside on the porch for at least 45 minutes (lots of people love Lambert's, so there is always a long line), and be on the alert for wayward rolls flying across the room; they have been known to hit unsuspecting people in the head. My family first ate at Lambert's 20 years ago. We met Norm, the owner, and he gave us the entire meal on the house because it was our first time there. He was a kind and funny man. The world lost a sunny, generous person when he died.
Montana
Great Falls: Faster Basset--a restaurant that has paintings of Basset Hounds on every wall, and serves homemade crepes with a variety of fillings (spinach, bacon, and artichoke, turkey-ranch, lemon curd, nutella, strawberries, etc...)--what's not to love?
New York
Tennessee
The state that introduced me to the wonders of chocolate cobbler; I will be forever grateful.
Centerville: Fish Camp--The catfish are raised on-site in two ponds. Breaded in cornmeal, then fried, it is some of the best catfish I've ever eaten. The homemade hot fudge cake should be the town's official dessert.
Franklin: Bombay Bistro--I discovered this place shortly after moving to the area. From then on, it was a rare occasion when I chose a different restaurant. It serves the best Indian food. It is a widely known fact; I love curry powder--mild, spicy, or hot enough to be classified as lava. This place is a curry-lover's dream. Since it is unlikely I will visit India anytime soon to wander amongst the spice racks and street food vendors, Bombay Bistro is the next best place.
Memphis: Muddy's Bake Shop--Some friends of mine introduced me to this bakery a couple of months ago. With fun, whimsical cupcake names such as Oodlelolly (vanilla/boiled icing and coconut), Frankly Scarlett (red velvet/cream cheese), Pucker Up (lemon), Plain Jane (vanilla), Tomboy (chocolate/peanut butter), and Grasshopper (chocolate/peppermint); it is a cheerful place that serves delicious homemade cakes, pies, and cookies. The line was out the door when we visited.
Casablanca--a Middle-Eastern, Moroccan-inspired restaurant. A dear friend of mine described the ginger, honey, sage tea as "tea from heaven". She wasn't kidding. I recommend the Baba Ghanoush, grape leaves, and hummus with shawerma. The owner is from Israel; a very personable fellow who enjoys talking to customers.
Nashville: The Smiling Elephant--This is my family's favorite Thai restaurant. It was voted best Pad Thai in the city. The fresh rolls, chicken cashew stir fry with satay sauce, sticky rice in a banana leaf, and mango sticky rice are excellent!
Gojo Ethiopian Cafe--Ethiopian food is unlike any other cuisine I've eaten. I recommend Yemiser Sambussa, a pastry shell filled with lentils, onion, jalapeno, herbs, and spices, then pan fried and served hot, and Yebeg Alicha, tender pieces of lamb simmered in mild sauce and seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic and turmeric. Injera (flat, pancake-like, sourdough bread) is served with every meal.
Noshville Authentic New York Delicatessen--This place had my vote as soon as I realized there were vats of pickles from which to eat as we waited for our food to arrive. I love the matzah ball soup and the blackened chicken curry salad.
Summertown: Shaffer Farms--home of the best barbecue brisket in Tennessee; perhaps in the entire world. I'm a born and raised southerner, so I know good BBQ. Trust me.
Texas
Odessa: Jorge's--My family and I ate at Jorge's in 2006 when we drove across Texas to attend a World War II air show. The homemade tacos are worth crossing the plains of Texas barefoot in a sandstorm. This place serves menudo (beef or pork stomach). Taco Bell, step aside. Jorge's is the real deal, folks.
What restaurants are on your list of favorites? What special memories do you have of meals shared around a table with family and friends?
Texas
Odessa: Jorge's--My family and I ate at Jorge's in 2006 when we drove across Texas to attend a World War II air show. The homemade tacos are worth crossing the plains of Texas barefoot in a sandstorm. This place serves menudo (beef or pork stomach). Taco Bell, step aside. Jorge's is the real deal, folks.
What restaurants are on your list of favorites? What special memories do you have of meals shared around a table with family and friends?



No comments:
Post a Comment