Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stanley


November 2012
On November 3rd, 2012, Stanley passed away from complications due to cancer.
He was nine years old.

He entered my life in September 2003 as a tiny puppy from the local animal shelter. He grew into a short-legged, chubby dog who loved to spin in circles when he saw me coming. He was the kindest dog I'd ever known; a loveable old soul whose joyful spirit overflowed and made people smile.
The vet called that Saturday morning to tell me Stanley had taken a turn for the worst and the most humane action would be to euthanize him. But before I could reach my car in the driveway, the vet called again to inform me that Stanley had died.  Dad went and picked up Stanley at the vet's office, brought him home, and buried him in the pasture with the other dogs who had died over the past twenty years.  I had planned to visit friends out of state that day, so I got in my car and cried all the way to Tennessee. 

“There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable..." ~C.S. Lewis 

Even though it hurts when they die, I'm thankful for the unconditional love bestowed on my life by animals.
Rest in peace, sweet boy. You are deeply missed.


No comments: